Romulus Wine selectors is a partnership between Chris Bell, Geoff Adams and Richard Tallis, friends for over 30 years. The idea was born following a trip to Tuscany in 2014, where it became obvious to Chris that the best of the Tuscan wines were either not imported to Australia or were seriously expensive. After numerous red wine discussions with Geoff and Richard it was decided that as a service to our family, friends and fellow wine enthusiasts to form a small business to bring wines to Australia.
Our selection criteria ~
A buying trip was confirmed and guidelines settled:
1. Small boutique wineries with a personal touch
2. Biodynamic or organic wines
3. All must like a wine or winery before purchase
The first trip~
Meeting in Rome, we journeyed north fighting that famous Rome traffic. Falling on our feet, our first accommodation was near Panzano in Chianti (Northern Tuscany). This had the appeal of being close to Greve in Chianti, which has a wonderful enoteca where we could taste a huge range of local wines. We also selflessly sampled lots of the local restaurants and found how the local wines went with food which is very important to the Tuscan wines. Fortunately Alice had organised our accommodation where our host, The Count was very knowledgeable as to the wines of Chianti.
There are four standards of wine made in Tuscany that are governed by the DOCG (Denomination of Origin Control Guarantee) and these are:
• Chianti Classico, 80% Sangiovese and 12 months in oak.
• Chianti Classico Riserva 80% Sangiovese and 24 months in oak and three months in bottle.
• Chianto Classico Gran Selezione 80% Sangiovese and 30 months in oak and three months in bottle.
• IGT Indicazione geografi ca tipica or Supertuscan
The Vineyard Selection~
We have selected six vineyards. Four from the area of Panzano which is the first biodynamic valley in Chianti – Castello dei Rampolla, Fattoria le Fonti, Il Molino de Grace and Renzo Marinai and two from Montepulciano Godiolo and Il Macchione.
We hope you enjoy them.